Winner of the Women's 2016 Raleigh SCX Series Isla Short took some time out to answer our 1x10 questions shortly before heading over to Mull. A win on the Saturday saw her take the title in a close fought, season-long battle with Kerry McPhee.
Photo: Michael Martin
1. Can you introduce yourself and let our readers know a little bit about you?
I’m a 20 year old cyclist, primarily a mountain biker, racing full time on the World Cup scene for OMX Pro Team.
2. How long have you been involved in cyclocross?
I actually started racing cyclocross before mountain bikes in 2010, and it’s crazy to think that this is my 7th winter of cross.
3. What got you into the sport in the first place?
I took an interest in racing through my dad, who was racing MTB endurance events. The cyclocross races were so accessible so I dabbled in them first to see if I liked it.
4. Can you remember the first CX race you went to, and how did it go?
I think my first race was Mugdock in 2010, I don’t much remember much apart from having to climb over a really big wall each lap, and I’m fairly sure I came last.
5. What’s the craziest thing you’ve seen at a cross race?
Can it be something I’ve done? If so, Hallocross this year, when I battled with and was beaten by a giant corn on the cob.
6. What’s the most embarrassing thing you’ve done at a race, on or off a bike?
I went to use a portaloo before course practise at one of the World Cups this year. I put my jersey next to the toilet, unaware that somebody had also peed NEXT to the toilet. I had to do my practise laps in 30 degrees, stinking of somebody else’s pee, which is slightly worse than stinking of your own pee I think?
7. Do you have a favourite course, either to ride, or to spectate?
I think everybody knows this one. IRVINE!! It’s got big hills and lots of sand, everything I love to ride. It’s also the best course for spectating so you’re never on your own during the race.
8. Are there any riders you particularly admire?
Cammy Mason, because he can probably bunny hop me…
9. Any particular highlights from this season? Winning the Scottish Champs was of course a great day, but actually my win at Fife College has been my highlight this year. I absolutely loved the mud and it was my first win this season.
10. Finally, what are you looking forward to for the rest of the season?
I’m pretty excited for the last race of the series on Mull. Nobody has won the overall title yet, and three of us will be doing battle at the Castle! I’m also really looking forward to racing the British Champs in January. I’ve dabbled in British CX before but not for a few years. I’m a much better bike rider now so I’m intrigued to see how I’ll get on. And of course Dig In in February.